Sunday, September 19, 2010

Labyrinths and process as my creative pathway

The labyrinth dictates its own pace. It domineers my doodles and insists it is featured center and left of work. Since creating the labyrinth on the beach during the summer I am fascinated how it emerges into my work. The Labyrinth for your finger tips followed, I love those images like sketches for bigger work.
Then I got back to my paintings and they became constructions in paper. 
Painting was not enough. The shapes demand to be lifted of the paper. They want to stand proud of the surface.
This series of images best describes, records and informs me and my creative practice for future work.

When painting is too flat... from Roisin Markham on Vimeo.


This manipulation is requesting wood. "Make me in wood" it demands aloud.
Bowed in a curvaceous form that allows the labyrinth to be freed from the flat. Freeing the curves to be visually challenging and technically questionable.

8 comments:

Rose Hughes said...

Your concept makes me smile, and the process leading into the dimensional work is inspiring. Love this direction, and the freedom you are allowing to inhabit the process. Thank you for sharing!

Ballygarrett Art Studio said...

Rose, thanks for your lovely supportive comment. It was challenging to stay with the not knowing and just go with it. Curious to see where the process takes me this week!

Anonymous said...

Interesting in that the work is taking you upwards and outwards as well as along ... keep us posted on where this leads please :)

Ballygarrett Art Studio said...

Hi Sue @idcoach, oh I love that you saw that. I guess I'm so deep in the process I had not even made that observation, thanks so much for that reaffirming insight.

icarne said...

I like this, to me it seems some of the new shapes created add a layer of communication they are so similar to ears. It is almost as if some of the pieces are straining to hear what is being said about them or eavesdropping on conversations nearby.

Ballygarrett Art Studio said...

Thanks Liam, I'm glad you like it! Interesting comment considering communication is a key piece to what I do & I have a thing about listening - http://creativedynamic.blogspot.com/2009/05/listening-is-attitude-not-skill.html
It will be interesting to see what you make of the work at the exhibition ;-)

José António Baldaia said...

I love it!
It seems we can work with simplicity for hours and hours and never doing twice the same thing. It is awesome!
We can make relations of shapes with thoughts and without stop.
Did you think about mobile (mechanic) sculpture for that?

Ballygarrett Art Studio said...

Thanks José. It's the metaphor of what that simplicity holds that is also interesting to me and other students of innovation.
And yes the following day the work did take a mobile form and the photos & another insight that came today are in my next blog post. I look forward to what you make of that.

Popular Posts